Birth Stories

My best friend, Sarah, is just a few weeks away from having her third baby (and first girl!) and is in full preparation mode. All her nesting and labor/delivery talk reminded me that I wanted to jot down my babies birth stories before I forget them (they are already starting to blur together). Today also happens to be my 32nd birthday, so I couldn’t think of a more appropriate time to get these stories in writing.

Christopher James Buckner, born May 5 at 1:03 p.m. He was 7 pounds, 7 ounces, 23 inches long and in the hundredth percentile for perfection. 

Snuggling his Daddy during his first day on Earth!

Snuggling his Daddy during his first day on Earth!

I developed pre-eclampsia (a sudden spike in my blood pressure) with my pregnancy with Christopher, and so I was put on bedrest at 37 weeks. During that week, I had to go into the doctors office several times for blood work. I recall one of the doctor’s calling me at the end of the week with news.

“Your blood work indicates your liver and kidney functions are shutting down. We are going to need to induce you.” I heard none of (or maybe didn’t care about) the first sentence, only the exciting second half. I was going to have the baby, yay!

Sunday, May 4 I went into the hospital to start the induction process. As we were getting ready to sleep for the night, the nurse gave me cervidil and let me know the cervidil would NOT put me into labor and would only get me ready for labor. Johnny fell asleep. I felt pain. LOTS of pain. One of my clearest memories is “If this isn’t labor, I’m never going to make it!”

I spent several hours trying to quietly deal with the pain while Johnny slept next to me. After a while, I couldn’t take it and woke Johnny up. He ran for nurse and as it turned out – I WAS in labor. He called our families at 3 a.m. as I begged for the epidural (to be fair to myself, I went in wanting the epidural).

The delivery part with Christopher was difficult. My epidural dose was high, so I was completely numb. I started pushing at 7 am, and at 9 am my doc (Dr. Del, one of the best doctors ever) insisted I rest, turn down the epidural and try again later. At 11 am, I started again. Then at 1:03 p.m., I learned we had a SON! It was a spectacular moment.

Fun notes about that delivery:

– Chris was born on a Monday. He was also born two weeks early.

– My stepmom, friend Sarah, Aunt Betsy, and Mother In Law Carol were continually kicked out of the hallway – they kept sneaking back to listen at the door. I love my family.

– My mom was in the room with us. She was a labor and delivery nurse and so it was nice to have her there.

– My mom says that I cried and said “A boy?! I have a boy? I love my boy!” when they placed Christopher on my chest for the first time.

– The most memorable moment of my ENTIRE life was when Johnny went out to tell our families that Christopher was born and that he was a boy. I was obviously still in the delivery room, but I could hear the clapping and cheering down the hall as Johnny shared the news (apparently a janitor had come out earlier and said she thought I had a GIRL, so they were extra shocked when Johnny said boy).

– Chris gets his name from a few places. First, Johnny loves his Uncle Chris. Two, when Johnny and I each made name lists, Christopher was the only boy name we could both agree on. And James is my brother’s first name and I love my bro.

Emily Nicole Buckner, born November 21 at 9:37 a.m. Weighing eight pounds even, 20 inches long – Emmy also measured in the hundredth percentile for perfection!

One of Emmy's first pictures, taken just a few minutes after her arrival.

One of Emmy’s first pictures, taken just a few minutes after her arrival.

Emmy’s story is much simpler. On the Saturday before Em’s arrival, I spent the day at the Children’s Museum with Johnny, Christopher, Laurissa and Ava. We walked and played and rode the carousel and had a blast. After that day, we went to my mom’s where my visiting Aunt, Uncle and cousin were staying for Thanksgiving. My mom and Aunt Sally spent the evening rubbing my feet and hands, desperately trying to find pressure points to send me into labor.

As I was leaving my mom’s, Christopher begged to spend the night with his cousin Johnny (yes, his name is also Johnny). I was exhausted and said ok, then we left. We went to bed right away, and at 12:37 a.m. I opened my eyes with my first major contraction. After a few contractions, which were already about two minutes apart, I knew what was happening. I called the doctor and hopped into the shower (I’m not sure why I took a shower in the middle of the painful labor, but I did).

The drive to the hospital felt like a movie scene. I was begging Johnny to go faster and we went through a few red lights. I remember calling my dad and stepmom (who live six hours away) during the drive, but I don’t recall much else. 20 minutes later, we were parked and waddling into the hospital.

It was around 3:30 a.m. at this point, and I was already at 7 cm. I begged for an epidural and then life was good again.

At 9:07 a.m. I started the delivery process. My doctor was Dr. Neff (I also love her), and she delivered Emmy at 9:37 a.m. – much better than the four hour delivery with her brother.

Fun facts about her delivery:

– Emmy was born on a Sunday, she was four days early.

– Johnny and I bickered in the delivery room over her name. We went in with two ideas: Emily Nicole (Emmy) or Elise Nicole (Ellie). I thought he wanted Ellie, he thought I wanted Ellie – but we both really wanted Emily. Nicole comes from my friend Sarah, which is her middle name.

– Sarah and my mom joined us in the delivery room.

– Carmel St. Vincent’s plays a lullaby when a baby is born, and my dad and step mom raced in just in time to hear the lullaby play through the hospital.

– It was a full moon the night I delivered her, and there were three other mothers that arrived in the middle of the night.

– From Emmy’s first cry, I could tell she was going to be a bit of a stinker and said as much while still in the delivery room.

– Christopher was absolutely freaked out when he walked in and saw me in the delivery room. And it took him about nine months, but he eventually warmed up to his sister.

Our first picture as a completed family of four. Taken November 21, 2010.

Our first picture as a completed family of four. Taken November 21, 2010.

Well, that is it! I didn’t want to forget a thing, so I had to get it down while I could. Coming up next – our birth stories (as told by our Mamas).


About BucknerBlog

A family of four, sharing the random day to day stuff...
This entry was posted in Buckner Family, Christopher, Emmy, Milestones and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Birth Stories

  1. Bill O'Connor says:

    You neglected to mention that your entire family is in the one-hundredth percentile on the perfection scale.

  2. Pingback: Birth Stories, Round Two | BucknerBlog

  3. mamasmithers says:

    I”m all teary after reading this! Happy tears of course but still emotional. Love your babies!

  4. mandijo20 says:

    You have inspired me. I need to do this too! I teared up, shocking – right?

    • BucknerBlog says:

      Yes! Do it before you forget. I have forgotten SO MANY details and have blurred a ton of them together. “Was this Christopher or Emmy’s delivery?” I didn’t want to let much more time to go by otherwise both deliveries would seem like one.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s